Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Thing 22: Overdrove


I've used Overdrive before. When they added movies, I couldn't resist checking out the playlist and I registered. I ended up checking out The Battleship Potemkin because I wanted to see the Odessa step scene again. I got it working and watched bits and pieces of the movie at work for the next couple of weeks.



This time I decided to check out an audiobook. I don't have a player, so I downloaded a book (Saving Shiloh by Phyllis Renynolds Naylor) to my computer here at work. I find Overdrive very easy to use. One of the best things is not having to remember any logins or passwords; just scan your library card and you're in like Flynn. Once inside the website, if you have ever bought anything or downloaded anything from the web, it is easy to figure out if your title is available and how to "buy" the title by downloading it. Of course, I might have had it easy since I was downloading to my computer, not to a player.



One thing that did disconcert me was that the first 5 or 6 titles I looked at were all checked out and a few even had holds on them! I guess I shouldn't have been surprised but I was. I'm not aware of the Overdrive circulation statistics but they must be better than I thought.



If I ever buy a player, I would definitely use the Overdrive titles available in our catalog.

No comments: