Thursday, July 26, 2007

Musings on Things

I am galloping through this exercise in Web 2.0 and Library 2.0 way too fast. I feel like I'm in a race, mostly with myself!

I can't spend too much time on it at work because of other obligations;

I want to rush through the reading to do the more exciting and fun online activities;

I want to rush through each "Thing" so I can mark it off my list and move on to the next "thing";

I want to jump on my blog and egotistically share my feelings and thoughts with the rest of the world;

And so forth.

But now I realize, did I really grasp all the potential uses of Flickr?

If someone were to ask me to explain what mashups are, could I?

Do I really understand RSS feeds?

Why do I keep getting Bloglines, Technorati, and Rollyo confused?

 

Perhaps at the end of 23Things there should be a short test:

  1. What is a blog?
  2. What is Flickr and how do people use it? Why is it considered a social networking tool?
  3. What are RSS feeds?
  4. How are RSS feeds different or the same as the Blogline service?
  5. What did Rollyo do?
  6. What are tags?
  7. What is the primary use for Del.icio.us and why would people subscribe to it?
  8. What did Technorati do?
  9. Describe wikis and their uses.
  10. How is an online productivity tool (word processing through Zoho, for example) different from word processing using Microsoft Word?
  11. How could the library use YouTube?
  12. How could the library use podcasts?

Slow down everyone--and I'm also talking to myself! Read the Library 2.0 blog, click onto all the links to see where they go, and really take the time to absorb what is being presented. The idea is to learn 23 things, not to simply check 23 things off a list.

6 comments:

Amy said...

Yeah, I feel the same way--kinda rushing through. I'm trying to keep ahead of my coworkers so that I know what's required of each step and I can help them as they go along. Not to mention that time to play is limited--we're all subject to that. But I know that playing is important--after all, I tell my adult computer class students that all the time, that kids learn computers so fast because they play with them. It would be hypocritical not to take my own advice! :-) And I'm also excited about the potential of these tools, not just for libraries but for our patrons, and that makes me want to go through these exercises fast too. Must!! Know!! Now!!

Great post--an excellent reminder that to go faster, you must slow down. Taking a deep breath now....

Susan G. said...

Amy:

I got to thinking about this last night when I realized that I didn't really remember all that much about RSS feeds. I sort of rushed through it all.

Sigh. I vow to go back and reread that section!

Susan G.

Jen said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jen said...

Hi Susan,

In order to hyperlink, you need to use the html tags. Go to this tutorial for info on how to create a link using html tags:
tutorial

Jennifer

Angie said...

I think this would be a wonderful idea!! I definitely feel like I am rushing through the tasks or things and having to re cap. Thank you for all the wonderful comments too!! You are keeping me motivated!! =)

Susan G. said...

Thanks Angie!

I'm trying to look at everyone's blog at least once a week--it's fun and I'm (sort of) working while I'm doing it! I think it is really fun to get comments, so I'm trying to put a comment on everyone's page.

I actually do plan on going back and review the RSS/Blogline section. That is the part I feel the most shaky on. But for now, I keep plowing ahead!