Monday, July 16, 2007

Thing 11: A busman's holiday for me

I actually had already explored LibraryThing a few months ago. I initially wanted to use it to catalog my large collection of Christmas music CD's which could use some form of bibliographic control. Although the website implies it is useful for creating music catalogs, I disagree. I could not find MARC records for many titles in my CD collection so I gave up in disgust.

I then decided to catalog my collection of film books--this was much more successful and I cataloged 41 titles.

Despite the fact I was able to fairly easily create a catalog list, I don't know if I'd ever really use this service. Sure, I'm a cataloger by trade, but it seems almost too nerdy to have your own library online. Then again, sometimes I do have a hard time finding books that I know I own.....

No comments: